Don’t Be A DIY Dummy

Facebooktwitterpinterestmail

Don’t Be A DIY Dummy

Life Loving is all about loving your life and making the most of the time you have. So one of my biggest messages to you is be safe in whatever you are doing. That includes any kind of home improvement or upcycling project. There’s lot of hidden risks out there that you may not even be aware of.

For example, when putting up pictures in your home. You should always use a detector to check the area you wish to put the fixing into. There might be some hidden electrical cabling or pipework. If you go drilling into this you could do quite a bit of damage. You probably won’t harm yourself as the property electrics will likely trip out, but better to be safe, than sorry. Also it may be costly to repair.

DIY Dummy

Some pipework is more obvious than others. There might be a bit of the wall that juts out. Most cabling isn’t that obvious. Although I would seriously avoid drilling above a plug socket or light switch. That’s bound to land you into problems.

Asbestos is also a serious problem. Many older house have had asbestos used when building it. Asbestos isn’t a problem if it isn’t damaged and hasn’t been disturbed, but if you are looking to do some DIY in a part of the house that may contain asbestos, you might want to get some advice from a trained professional first.

In some older homes, white asbestos was used to strengthen Artex ceilings. This was used right up until the mid-1980s, so it would be worth checking out what your ceiling is made of if you are thinking of getting rid of that ‘beautiful’ Artexing.

Asbestos is dangerous and is high profile for good reason. Most professionals these days will know how to deal with asbestos found in your home, but if you’ve been put in a situation where you’ve become ill because of it you should see advice from mesothelioma claims lawyers.

Paint can be another danger which people don’t consider. Paints fall into two categories. Water based, or solvent based. The water based one are generally used on walls. Solvents on other surfaces, for example skirting board or doors, because they give a nice glossy finish. It’s the solvent based ones that will cause problems if you inhale them. They can cause irritation to breathing as they are absorbed into the lungs and bloodstream.

DIY Dummy

If you can, choose solvent free paints. If you are painting with solvent-based products, make sure the room is well ventilated and that you take regular breaks to go and get some fresh air outside. Also, once you have completed the work, don’t use the room until the paint is completely dry.

So if you are planning on embarking on some home improvements in the new year, heed the advice above and don’t be a DIY dummy.

Read more posts in the Home & Garden Category

Disclosure: This is a collaborative piece with Slater Gordon.

Save

Save

Save

Save

Facebooktwitterpinterestmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *